Sunday, February 8, 2015

COPYRIGHT LAW SIMPLIFIED - PART 1

Today I am starting a continuing blog on copyright law, especially for writers. I will include a segment of the information each day. Hope you find it helpful.

COPYRIGHT LAW SIMPLIFIED
 
In 1978, when the current copyright law went into effect, my writing career was starting to take off,
 
 so I was interested in what the law had to say. I decided to send for a copy of the new law, read up
 
on it, and be prepared to go on with my writing. When the copy arrived I was more than a little
 
surprised that it came in a large folder and was over an inch think. So much for that quick read.
Fortunately I soon found out that there was only a small portion of the law that actually affected me directly as a writer. It was important that I was familiar with that portion, but I didn’t have to worry about the rest of it. It’s that applicable portion we’ll discuss in this blog.
One of the most important things you need to know is what the various rights are that you can sell or you will be asked to sell to your work. That information will be included here in a later session, called “Know What Rights You Are Selling.” I would encourage you to spend some time memorizing the various rights so you are knowledgeable enough to understand and protect your rights when dealing with editors.
        Next, we'll look at some of the elements of the copyright law that you will need to be aware of and need to understand as they apply to your writing projects.



No comments:

Post a Comment